I’ve been reading everyone’s Top 5 Wednesday posts for awhile now since they are pretty much the only posts in my reader on Wednesday; they are all very interesting! I thought some of the topics sounded intriguing and since I have wanted to do this particular topic for awhile on my own, I thought this would be a good time to start. I have also been wondering what books would be the best to start with for other genres so I look forward to all of your posts!
This Weeks topic is: Books to introduce others into your favorite genre, which for me is Fantasy!
I picked the following books because they have such engaging plots and awesome characters that I believe they will hook someone into reading more fantasy. They also are not overly complex, but still loved even by intrepid fantasy readers.
Note: I did not include Harry Potter on this list because…well…duh. JUST READ IT ALREADY! 🙂 They are also not in any particular order. Yes, two of these are children’s series, but OMG they are AMAZING!
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- Great intro series for those that like Fairy-tales
- Interesting plot w/memorable characters
- Slight romance aspect, but very well done
- Check out my review of Cinder!
Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson
- Great series if you like superheroes but don’t like Marvel or DC comics (or even if you do)
- Engaging, unique story with spectacular world-building
- Check out my review of Steelheart!
Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima
- Awesome series set in a Queendom!
- Exciting plot containing magic, intrigue, and incredible characters
- Slight romance, but well done even though there is a love triangle!
- Check out my review of The Demon King!
Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull
- Great plot
- Includes all your typical fantasy creatures
- Totally appropriate for younger readers and loved by older ones as well
Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flanagan
- Well thought-out, engaging series
- Highly memorable characters that develop with each book
- Awesome world-building
- Appropriate for younger readers and also loved by adults as well
- Check out my review for Ranger’s Apprentice